RFC: pkg-config for KDE

Antonio Larrosa Jiménez larrosa at kde.org
Sat Oct 2 20:06:34 BST 2004

El Wednesday 29 September 2004 19:27, Ian Reinhart Geiser escribió:
> Example:
>   g++ someapp.cpp `pkg-config --cflags --libs kdeui`
> vs
>   g++ someapp.cpp -I/some/hardcoded/path -L/some/other/hardcoded/path
> -libkdeui -lkdecore

How would that handle configurations where people have different library
versions in different prefixes? Currently there's a kde-config, and you can
have different kde-config binaries in different prefixes to choose which one
to use. Would we use a different directory to be included in
$PKG_CONFIG_PATH for each KDE/Qt installation ?

Just in case I've not been clear enough. Currently, I have:
antonio at tazend:~> pkg-config --libs qt-mt
-L/usr/lib/qt3//lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib/ -L/usr/X11R6/lib/ -lqt-mt
-lpng -lz -lXi -lXrender -lXrandr -lXinerama -lXft -lfreetype -lfontconfig
-lXext -lX11 -lm -lSM -lICE -ldl -lpthread

but I also have $QTDIR set to /usr/lib/qt3-head which is what is currently
used to compile with the cvs version of Qt without having to use
--with-qt-dir when running configure in kdelibs.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE developer - larrosa at kde.org
http://developer.kde.org/~larrosa/
Search for beauty, it's the only thing which is worth in this nasty world.