RFC: Keeping track of online/offline status & central DNS service

Roberto Selbach Teixeira roberto at kde.org
Tue Nov 30 20:07:05 GMT 2004

Forgive me for the late reply, I hope it is still worth it.

On Thursday 25 November 2004 09:11, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Design goals
> ============

Someone already mentioned the proxy settings. Do you think it would be
interesting to have something that would actually identify the current
network the user is connected to? What I mean is that I have a laptop that I
use at work and at home on a daily basis. These two "profiles" have distinct
name servers, mail relays, proxies and even autofs configurations.

I currently use a simple python script to change those configurations on
demand (I use arping to detect the current network). This is something that I
find useful but I am not sure this kind of things fit on what KDED should be.

I've been thinking of writing a KDE app to do what I currently do with the
python script. Do you think that this functionality may have a place on KDED
or maybe it is better as a kdeadmin-like standalone application?

		Roberto.