RFC: Keeping track of online/offline status & central DNS service

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at Kossebau.de
Fri Nov 26 15:35:15 GMT 2004

Am Freitag, 26. November 2004 11:07, schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
<snip>
> * Keeping track of which application/services are in need/using the online
> state
>
> So for dial-on-demand all download managers, email fetchers etc. (from
> different users?) could register with the demon and tell when they are
> done. Thus no more accidently interrupted transmissions.
>
> > Proposed DCOP interface
<snip>
> enumOnlineUsage {OnOccasion=1, Explicit=2}
> void registerOnlineUsage("Description", app, user, enumOnlineUsage )
> // registers online usage, to be used by apps (kget, kmail, ...), (or io
> slaves?), not
> // Explicit are user triggered downloads, perhaps also mail, calendar
> // OnOccasion are automated things, like KWeather, Kopete user states,
> // CCDB synchronisations, RSS feeds etc. Such apps could be configured
> // to on connection setup do the first information fetch as Explicit and
> later // on OnOccasion so at least one update is ensured.
>
> void unregisterOnlineUsage( app, user )
> // unregisters an app/service
>
> "list of online users" listOnlineUsers()
> // lists all registered apps using the online state, to be used by kppp or
> kisdn to warn about pending online activities.

One more possible thing:

signal noMoreOnlineUsage()
// signal that get's emitted if the last explicit online using app unregisters
// so kppp or kisdn could autodisconnect

At least I would find this useful for my online behaviour sometimes (dial in,
start surfing, select some interesting material and start downloading it,
wait for finished downloads, disconnect). With the feature proposed one could
start the downloads, tell kppp to disconnect on no further explicit online
usage and relaxedly go to supper. (Why don't I simply trust the "Disconnect
on silence" feature? Those OnOccasion apps might come into the game.)

Friedrich