RFC: Keeping track of online/offline status & central DNS service

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Nov 30 21:31:43 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 21:07, Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:
> Forgive me for the late reply, I hope it is still worth it.
>
> On Thursday 25 November 2004 09:11, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Design goals
> > ============
>
> Someone already mentioned the proxy settings. Do you think it would be
> interesting to have something that would actually identify the current
> network the user is connected to? What I mean is that I have a laptop that
> I use at work and at home on a daily basis. These two "profiles" have
> distinct name servers, mail relays, proxies and even autofs configurations.
>
> I currently use a simple python script to change those configurations on
> demand (I use arping to detect the current network). This is something that
> I find useful but I am not sure this kind of things fit on what KDED should
> be.
>
> I've been thinking of writing a KDE app to do what I currently do with the
> python script. Do you think that this functionality may have a place on
> KDED or maybe it is better as a kdeadmin-like standalone application?

I think the KDED service we are discussing here should be able to inform
applications about the current network situation in abstract terms e.g. "home
network online" or "work network online". The KDED service should then rely
on external programs/scripts/etc to inform it about this. Actually switching
settings is something that I think should either be handled by the program
that uses the settings, or by some add-on.

I will post a revised RFC based on the feedback received so far later this
week.

Cheers,
Waldo
--