KDE 4 Development book

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Mon Nov 15 11:43:36 GMT 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:23 pm, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> So, any input on this? What topics should be covered? Who wants to
> contribute? How does the whole book-writing business work anyway (maybe
> some of the folks who contributes to the andamooka(sp?) book can say
> something)?
I think it is wrong to think of a book. What do we want the book to do? I
think the goal that people have in mind is that it makes it easier to learn
things, especially for new hackers. We already have the Doxygen based
reference, so I don't think there is much more required for that.

If this is the case, perhaps we should be trying to develop an education
system (for example, something based on Moodle (see Linux Journal Dec 2004 or
http://www.moodle.org for an example), so we try to write tutorials as the
base material for courses, but don't worry about trying to write a complete
"book" (even though they might look a lot like chapters of a textbook). Even
a few courses would help enormously. Of course, we'd need instructors as
well, but that would probably happen for a book in any case (albeit to a
lesser degree).

Brad