XML Schema for XML GUI

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Wed Nov 10 13:39:50 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 07:09 am, Frans Englich wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I wrote a XML Schema for KXMLGUI, it's attached. It dictates the "gui"
> version, instead of the deprecated "kpartgui". It validates against random
> files :), but has TODOs sprinkled all over since I'm not intimate with the
> format, and some of it looks suspicious. I'll commit it to kdelibs/kdeui in
> a couple of days, unless someone objects.
>
> Now.. Combined with that documentation for the KXMLGUI is practically
> non-existant, this makes an excellent opportunity for brushing up the face
> outwards. David's script could copy the schema to www.kde.org/standards,
> and a grande "KXMLGUI -- KDE's user interface XML framework", a shiny,
> extensive, technical reference at developer.kde.org documented the innards
> of it, while the Schema had its last polish.
>
> I'll update the Schema as requested, but the document at DKO.. Takers? :)

I'll do this if nobody else with more experience steps up. However, I
encourage anybody who wants to do it more than I do to take it. :)

> BTW, we should have naming guidelines for XML formats, such that our
> frameworks can come out consistent for KDE 4. I'll try to cook something
> up, at some point, for KDE Policies.

I don't agree with having naming guidelines. I don't like the idea of having
to restrict what I name my files. (if that's what you intend to use them for)
It is my code, after all.

Matt