KDEvibes in KDE 3.3

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Wed May 26 18:39:36 BST 2004

Hi all,

At the moment, sounds themes for KDE consist of the sounds and that's all.
There is no other file in the sounds packages (no soundrc file or such) and
users who want to use other sounds than the standard KDE ones have to unpack
the sounds tarball in the right folder. There is no way to switch between
different sounds themes at the moment.

A few sounds themes are offered through kde-look.org but most are not
complete. Artemio's theme is complete, is in ogg format and is well rated. I
am myself interested in this because kids like sounds and I already use some
of Artemio sounds in KHangMan if the sound option is set to on.

So there are 3 options  (in my opinion) about sounds.
1) we do nothing for kde 3.3
2) Artemio's sounds replace the current scheme
3) a sound module is (quickly) developed in KControl or integrated in the new
theme module. Such a sound installer should install sounds themes and be able
to allow the user to switch between themes. An infrastucture should be
defined, maybe copied on the theme infrastructure.
I did not look at the theme installer yet so I cannot elaborate further on
including the sounds installer to the theme installer.

note: this post results from a discussion on #kde-devel ;-)

annma