KIconDialog

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed May 19 19:22:51 BST 2004

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 19:52, Arend van Beelen jr. wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I think there are some issues with KIconDialog (see also BR77699 and 69567). I
> want to make the following changes:
> - Let the icon loading be done in a seperate thread.
> Right now the loading is all in the same thread and the user can't click on
> anything while loading. This means if he wishes to select a different icon
> context, he first has to wait till the current one is loaded.
How about using timers instead? This is mostly a GUI operation, so it can't
be done from another thread (Qt only supports GUI operations from the main
thread).

We use a timer-based approach for any kind of async loading in KDE,
from background-spellchecking in kword or kmail, to expiration of old
mails in KMail :) Simply do a chunk of work every time the timer fires.

> - In combination with KIconButton, let KIconDialog initially select the
> currently selected icon.
Sounds good.

> - Let browsing for an icon always start in the directory where the current
> icon is.
Too.