disabling loading of kded autoload modules if KDE desktop is not running

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu May 13 12:31:02 BST 2004

From kde-cvs:
=====
On Friday 23 of April 2004 10:49, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 April 2004 17:13, Luboš Luňák wrote:
> > CVS commit by lunakl:
> >
> > Convert kwrited to a kded module. There's no point in having an extra
> > application just for one read-only QTextEdit widget which is usually
> > seen once a millenium or so. Should save both memory and startup time.
>
> Hihi, this has a funny side effect:
>
> ssh to another machine, with X forwarded
> run a kde app -> this starts kdeinit in the background
> type su -c "shutdown -h 0"
> => the kwrited window appears :)
>
> No bug, it's just a funny side effect due to the fact that kded is started
> even for standalone kde apps, whereas startkde is only for a full kde
> session.
>
> I guess this means we have to keep in mind that the more stuff we put
> in kded, the more stuff is started behind a standalone application's back;
> so it's ok for services available to apps, but not necessarily for
> desktop-wide services. Just a thought.
=====

 The attached patch changes kded so that autoload modules are loaded on kded
startup only if that's also KDE startup. Can anybody see a problem with that?
I do't think there's any reason why just starting e.g. KWrite outside of KDE
should also load kwrited, klaptopdaemon, kmilo and what not. In case some of
the explicitly CC-ed people (that's people responsible for various
autoload=true according to cvs annotate) have a good reason why not to apply
this patch, please speak up.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer