[Kde-pim] KDE 3.3 Release Plan is up

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun May 9 15:11:07 BST 2004

On Sunday 09 May 2004 16:15, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
[../]
> > Why wouldn't those same user want an upgraded browser?
>
> Because he uses Mozilla?
>
> > Or PDF
> > viewer?
>
> Because he uses acroread?

You know that I was talking about any other KDE application. Or else I
could say that the user doesn't care about kdepim because he uses
Evolution...

> > Then we are back to the old question about releasing kdelibs
> > and applications using a separate release schedule.
>
> Sure, and that's a question the developers of each module have to
> decide for themselves and they have to decide it again and again.
> There is no universal answer to that.
Right, so in the end the decision is yours, but from outside I can't see
why would it be good for kdepim to not follow the KDE release schedule.

> There are a lot of different requirements out there. You certainly
> can't say there won't be a company doing this or that because you
> think it doesn't make sense.

Sure, and the opposite is also true. ;-)

> For me this also isn't an important question. For me it's much more
> important how a release plan affects the developers and the way they
> develop. How the software is deployed and used is something which in
> my opinion we can happily leave to the distributors.

Quanta is much less important than kdepim, yet it has a big userbase and
we also try to keep Quanta usable under older KDE versions (at least
the last but one version). For me as a developer this is more pain, and
it is much easier to work with the latest kdelibs and not to have
implement workaround for bugs or locally backport some new features.

> >  So, I don't see the reasoning and find separate kdepim releases
> > just confusing, unless you really want to have a shorter release
> > period for the PIM applications, because you think they will evolve
> > much quicker than the rest of KDE.
>
> It's interesting how people get confused by something which actually
> hasn't happened yet ;-)

Well, the confusion might came from the fact that everything is so
blurry right now. Will I have a kdepim in KDE 3.3? Or I will get kdepim
3.3 a week before KDE 3.3? Or what will really happen? AFAIK the
reasoning behind the delayed kdepim was to get it out before KDE 3.3 so
users can enjoy the new kdepim much earlier. Now what if you release
together with KDE 3.3 and keep the KDE 3.3 release schedule, but keep
the compatibility with KDE 3.2? Then everybody can be happy and not
confused.

Andras

- --