[Kde-pim] KDE 3.3 Release Plan is up

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun May 9 14:15:02 BST 2004

On Sunday 09 May 2004 09:43, Andras Mantia wrote:

> I'm not a kdepim developer and I cannot decide on what you do, but I
> don't know why is kdepim such a different part than the rest of the
> KDE.

I don't think kdepim is really different than other KDE modules, but it
has a relatively strong community of developers which focus only on the
kdepim module and don't work on the libraries or other modules that
much. In addition to that there are quite some external contributions
to kdepim, e.g. the aegypten or the kolab client projects which might
make kdepim a bit different than other modules, at least in some
aspects.

> Why wouldn't those same user want an upgraded browser?

Because he uses Mozilla?

> Or PDF
> viewer?

Because he uses acroread?

> Then we are back to the old question about releasing kdelibs
> and applications using a separate release schedule.

Sure, and that's a question the developers of each module have to decide
for themselves and they have to decide it again and again. There is no
universal answer to that.

>  Also you said that a whole company may upgrade kdepim, but not
> kdelibs. Why not, if the new kdelibs is binary compatible with the
> old one? If the whole KDE is on a main server, this is not a big job
> to do. If KDE is installed on every machine, then the admin should
> anyway install it separately for everyone (or use a deploying tool),
> but in any case it won't be harder to do an install kdelibs/kdepim
> than just do install kdepim.

There are a lot of different requirements out there. You certainly can't
say there won't be a company doing this or that because you think it
doesn't make sense.

For me this also isn't an important question. For me it's much more
important how a release plan affects the developers and the way they
develop. How the software is deployed and used is something which in my
opinion we can happily leave to the distributors.

>  So, I don't see the reasoning and find separate kdepim releases just
> confusing, unless you really want to have a shorter release period
> for the PIM applications, because you think they will evolve much
> quicker than the rest of KDE.

It's interesting how people get confused by something which actually
hasn't happened yet ;-)