[Kde-pim] KDE 3.3 Release Plan is up

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun May 9 15:25:41 BST 2004

On Sunday 09 May 2004 16:11, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Sunday 09 May 2004 16:15, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> [../]
>
> > > Why wouldn't those same user want an upgraded browser?
> >
> > Because he uses Mozilla?
> >
> > > Or PDF
> > > viewer?
> >
> > Because he uses acroread?
>
> You know that I was talking about any other KDE application. Or else
> I could say that the user doesn't care about kdepim because he uses
> Evolution...

Sure, there certainly are a lot of users who use Evolution on a KDE
desktop and don't use kdepim at all. That's ok. We won't get any
additional users by forcing them to install some applications together
with others.

> > There are a lot of different requirements out there. You certainly
> > can't say there won't be a company doing this or that because you
> > think it doesn't make sense.
>
> Sure, and the opposite is also true. ;-)

Exactly. That's why it is not very useful to speculate about what users
need. We actually don't really know how users use KDE, what parts they
use and what their special requirements are. So in my opinion we should
concentrate on what we really know about: what is good for developers.

> Quanta is much less important than kdepim, yet it has a big userbase
> and we also try to keep Quanta usable under older KDE versions (at
> least the last but one version). For me as a developer this is more
> pain, and it is much easier to work with the latest kdelibs and not
> to have implement workaround for bugs or locally backport some new
> features.

That's your view for your Quanta development. I understand that. For
most kdepim developers it's the other way around, they prefer to work
with a stable version of the libraries which doesn't change every day.

> Well, the confusion might came from the fact that everything is so
> blurry right now. Will I have a kdepim in KDE 3.3? Or I will get
> kdepim 3.3 a week before KDE 3.3? Or what will really happen?

You will see ;-). Does it really matter right now, when and how kdepim
will be released? We will discuss it and make a decision, but this
won't happen from one minute to the other.

> AFAIK
> the reasoning behind the delayed kdepim was to get it out before KDE
> 3.3 so users can enjoy the new kdepim much earlier. Now what if you
> release together with KDE 3.3 and keep the KDE 3.3 release schedule,
> but keep the compatibility with KDE 3.2? Then everybody can be happy
> and not confused.

That's indeed one of the most likely scenarios.