[Kde-pim] KDE 3.3 Release Plan is up

Michael Brade brade at kde.org
Sun May 9 11:03:19 BST 2004

On Saturday 08 May 2004 23:04, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > I have already had the pleasure of being unable to fix things missing
> > in kdelibs because of our dependency on KDE 3.2.
>
> This doesn't exactly speak for the quality of kdelibs, right?
Well, yes and no. Yes, because there was a bug that needed to be fixed. But
this will always happen since there is no bugfree kdelibs and does not mean
that kdelibs is bad quality in general; thus no---it doesn't say anything
about the quality of kdelibs.

(even if so, do you have any other conclusions than the necessity to upgrade
kdelibs regularly?)

> > It would also mean
> > that KDE PIM 4 would stagnate in certain areas (though this might not
> > be the worst of the disadvantages).
>
> Corporate users don't want to upgrade to every minor release of KDE.
Hmm? I don't believe this 100%. I do believe the "every", but other than that:
why do we provide BC then if nobody upgrades anyway? This would even mean
that corporate users are not interested in 4.0.x upgrades, right? Which would
be 0% less work compared to a kdelibs-4.x upgrade, BTW.

[...]

> I'm not saying that we must not use stuff from new core libraries, but
> OTOH we also must not make the new core libraries a mandatory
> requirement. Anyway, KDE 4 is still a long way down the road. We should
> talk about the future of KDE PIM at aKadamy.
Most certainly.

--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience