[Kde-pim] KDE 3.3 Release Plan is up

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun May 9 08:43:13 BST 2004

On Saturday 08 May 2004 18:30, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> I'm very much in favor of separate KDE PIM 3.x releases for the rest
> of KDE 3. Especially this means that KDE 3.3 will not contain KDE
> PIM, but since KDE PIM 3.3 will have been released shortly before, it
> won't make a difference for people who are waiting for KDE 3.3. OTOH
> people who only want to upgrade KDE PIM won't have to wait for the
> KDE 3.3 release.
>
> BTW, I envision the same modus operandi for KDE 4. All KDE PIM 4.x
> releases should be kept compatible with KDE 4.0. This would make KDE
> PIM a reasonable choice for companies because they could use KDE
> 4.0.x for 2+ years and still have the possibility to upgrade KDE PIM.

I'm not a kdepim developer and I cannot decide on what you do, but I
don't know why is kdepim such a different part than the rest of the
KDE. Why wouldn't those same user want an upgraded browser? Or PDF
viewer? Then we are back to the old question about releasing kdelibs
and applications using a separate release schedule.
 Also you said that a whole company may upgrade kdepim, but not kdelibs.
Why not, if the new kdelibs is binary compatible with the old one? If
the whole KDE is on a main server, this is not a big job to do. If KDE
is installed on every machine, then the admin should anyway install it
separately for everyone (or use a deploying tool), but in any case it
won't be harder to do an install kdelibs/kdepim than just do install
kdepim.
 So, I don't see the reasoning and find separate kdepim releases just
confusing, unless you really want to have a shorter release period for
the PIM applications, because you think they will evolve much quicker
than the rest of KDE.

Andras