[Kde-pim] KDE 3.3 Release Plan is up

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sat May 8 23:11:22 BST 2004

On Saturday 08 May 2004 22:24, Harri Porten wrote:
> On Sat, 8 May 2004, Michael Brade wrote:
> > > FWIW, from several talks with the other KDE PIM developers I got the
> > > impression that many of them share my visions. I hope they will confirm
> > > this.
> >
> > No, not me. I sort of agree with the first paragraph, but not with
> > keeping PIM 4.x compatible with KDE 4.0 for the rest of KDE 4's lifetime.
> > Reasons:
>
> [reasons]
>
> I'm not a KDE PIM developer so I can just make a general comment: do you
> know how many people in the world (including my wife) are still running
> Windows 95 with a big set of recent application software available? That's
> platform stability for almost 9 years! I'd assume that KDE would be able
> to provide the same for 1-2 years. If there's an unfixable interface you
> can always provide a new one.

Binary and source compatibility might very well be possible for such an amount
of time. But unlike Microsoft I don't think we have enough resources and
patience to release and support (via bugs.kde.org) a kdelibs version 4.0 that
is bug-free enough to last 1-2 years. And actually I for one am glad about
that, because right now the platform improves rapidly, incrementally while
remaining compatible. And users and developers pick it up.

Simon