Refactoring KCM technology

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sat Mar 20 13:36:53 GMT 2004

On Saturday 20 March 2004 13:12, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le Samedi 20 Mars 2004 10:46, Cornelius Schumacher a écrit :
> >
> > Just for the record: I'm against moving applications to kdelibs and
> > as maintainer of khelpcenter I would reject a request to move it.
>
> Why?

- kdelibs is big enough
- moving stuff around is additional work for everybody
- separation between libraries and applications using these libraries
helps in having clear interfaces
- application development can happen without the need to update and
compile libraries
- probably more...

> If every KDE application needs both kdelibs and kdebase to run
> properly,  why are theses two packages splitted?

We are talking about CVS modules not packages. The modules are only
relevant for development and source code releases. What packagers do
with them is a completely different story which should be discussed
elsewhere.

> kdelibs alone should be enough to run mosts of kde application by an
> user which does not use the kde desktop.

Who says that? What is enough to run a KDE application depends on so
many different aspects that there certainly is no simple answer like
yours above.

> Now, you can say that an application can "run" without khelpcenter.
> that's another question to know if users runnig kde application
> outside kde needs help :-)

If a user needs khelpcenter to run an application depends on the user.
Some people don't care about help at all, some others would be content
with the help action opening the corresponding web page on
docs.kde.org.

There is no simple answer to these questions and I also don't think
there is a pressing need to answer them. It works fine as it is now,
why should we change it?