Refactoring KCM technology

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Mar 21 00:01:45 GMT 2004

On March 20, 2004 06:36, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Saturday 20 March 2004 13:12, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > Le Samedi 20 Mars 2004 10:46, Cornelius Schumacher a écrit :
> > > Just for the record: I'm against moving applications to kdelibs and
> > > as maintainer of khelpcenter I would reject a request to move it.
> >
> > Why?
>
> - kdelibs is big enough

this isn't new code, though. it's taken out of kdebase, so it's pretty much a
zero sum game.

> - moving stuff around is additional work for everybody

"just" for the CVS admins, not that i wish further work upon their shoulders.
if you have outstanding changes then you need to do a diff and patch locally,
but again this is a minor thing. weighed against the benefits which affect
the users (and thereby the developers) of 3rd party software.

> - separation between libraries and applications using these libraries
> helps in having clear interfaces

i would agree with this, however in these special case scenarios i think we
can exercise a modicum of self-discipline, no?

> - application development can happen without the need to update and
> compile libraries

this wouldn't change from the current situation. or do you build all of
kdebase everytime you make a change to khelpcenter?

> We are talking about CVS modules not packages. The modules are only
> relevant for development and source code releases. What packagers do
> with them is a completely different story which should be discussed
> elsewhere.

developers count too =) and until we officially support binary packages, we
ought to take responsibility for the utility of our source packages IMHO

> > kdelibs alone should be enough to run mosts of kde application by an
> > user which does not use the kde desktop.
>
> Who says that? What is enough to run a KDE application depends on so
> many different aspects that there certainly is no simple answer like
> yours above.

the only exception to this that i can see are apps that rely on kioslaves such
as smtp, pop3, etc... take a browse through kde-apps.org and the vast
majority of apps there would do just fine with kdelibs if the help center, dr
konqi and some kcm stuff were in kdelibs.

i think the name "kdelibs" is actually hanging us up somewhat, since what
we're talking about isn't "libs" anymore as much as it is "platform".

> It works fine as it is now, why should we change it?

to make it better =)

- --
Aaron J. Seigo
while (!horse()); cart();