Fwd: Re: Request for Comments: GNOME Notifier

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at tiscalinet.be
Fri Jul 30 20:12:26 BST 2004

Le Vendredi 30 Juillet 2004 18:26, Sébastien Laoût [temporar] a écrit :
> Le ven 30/07/2004 à 14:54, Olivier Goffart a écrit :
> > For KDE4, we could move the parsing of the config file into the client
> > library. (Or we could imagine share the same config files (.desktop))
> >  But the notificaiton deamon could be expanded to do more action like
> > KNotify already does.
> >
> > The notification protocol need to be extendend to receive following
> > flags:
> >
> > -A bitmask, or a string list, containing what action needs to be
> > preformed (play a sound, show a passivepopup, a message box, blink the
> > taskbar entry, raise the window, log to a file, execute a program, ....)
>
> One of the problems with the actual KNotify is that PassivePopups (and
> dialogs) only receive the comment (the same that would be logged, or
> somewhat else...) and cannot be used as powerfully as KPassivePopup
> class can be.
>
> But in some cases, like Kopete, the PassivePopup should display a longer
> (more descriptive) text that the text/comment that would be logged.

I don't see what you mean.
The whole text shown on the popup shown by kopete is logged. (excepted the
link)
and i think it is ok.  why should the logged text be shorter?

> eg. In Kopete when a contact is connecting, we get a PassivePopup with
> the name, that he is connecting, and a pretty link "Discuss with him"
> that, when clicked, open a discussion dialog.
> But if the user want the event to be logged too, the log coment should
> be shorten

why ?

> (and, of course, without the link): actually they are related
> is hardly changeable (be made dynamic).

(the link is actualy not a part of the text)

> It's currently impossible to have two comments, or even custom widgets.
> Kopete then make deep interceptions/changes in KNotifyClient class to
> achieve that.

No real need of having "custom widget"
What Kopete added in the knotifyclient is a way to add an action in the
passivepopup or the messagebox relayed to kopete.
I plan to move that in kdelibs for KDE4, but cannot be in kdelibs in KDE 3.x
because of BC

> Another concern is that some programs like amaroK or eventwatcher manage
> there own bubble messages: They create rounded windows than "point" to
> the systray icon...
> This is great user point of view, but incompatible with KNotify: users
> loss the power of the KDE notifier.
> Could be good if KNotify in KDE4 allow the use of rounded popups and/or
> baloon popups.
>
> And it would even by more user friendly if widget themes could theme the
> PassivePopups: they currently look odd because yellow/gray rectangle.
> Windows (MSN Messsenger, Symantec Norton, and lot of recent apps)
> provide very well themed (with rounds, gradiants, colors...) ballons.

I have to admit the actual KPassivePopup is not realy esthetic.  But at least,
it is functional :-)
That's true it could be re-designed

> Out of context of the GNOME notifier (but perhapse a subject for aKademy
> ? Unfortunaly I couldn't go to aKademy...) but I was having the
> intention to add features to KNotify.
> If you think KNotify with those "extensions" could be made compatible
> with DUNS, so it's good for me (as DCOP 'would' be a
> "sur-ensemble"("overload" in english?) of DBUS, KNotify could be a
> "sur-ensemble" of DUNS...
> Compatibility with GNOME/otherDesktops is good but I love the power of
> KDE :-)

That's what we are trying to do:  make KNotify and the GnomeNotifier
compatible, so even Gnome app will show KDE-like popups in KDE, and KDE apps
could show Gtk-like popups in a Gnome environement.
But with that, I don't want to remove every features of KNotify because Gnome
don't want to have them.