Fwd: Re: Request for Comments: GNOME Notifier

Sébastien Laoût [temporar] les83plus at free.fr
Sat Jul 31 10:19:53 BST 2004

Le ven 30/07/2004 à 18:36, Richard Smith a écrit :
> On Friday 30 July 2004 5:26 pm, Sébastien Laoût [temporar] wrote:
> > Another concern is that some programs like amaroK or eventwatcher manage
> > there own bubble messages: They create rounded windows than "point" to
> > the systray icon...
>
> Kopete does this also, to notify the user of an incoming message.

Hum my english was bad.
Yes, they are near the systray icon, but I was wanting to say that
eventwatcher use a baloon of strip cartoon (if it's how we say "une
bulle de bande déssinée" in english), with a "sort of arrow" that is
pointing to the icon.

But, I think, it's not to the app to say what should look the popup.
So it could be achieved by 'themes' in the notifier.

Le ven 30/07/2004 à 21:12, Olivier Goffart a écrit :
> > But in some cases, like Kopete, the PassivePopup should display a longer
> > (more descriptive) text that the text/comment that would be logged.
>
> I don't see what you mean.
> The whole text shown on the popup shown by kopete is logged. (excepted the
> link)
> and i think it is ok.  why should the logged text be shorter?
Oh. OK.
I was thinking the link was also logged (I never use logging, and I
haven't tryed it).
So it's good.

> > But if the user want the event to be logged too, the log coment should
> > be shorten
>
> why ?
In fact, it's the same as title + comments of DUNS.
Title is quite short and if the user want, it can have a more explained
text.
It's OK then.

> No real need of having "custom widget"
> What Kopete added in the knotifyclient is a way to add an action in the
> passivepopup or the messagebox relayed to kopete.
> I plan to move that in kdelibs for KDE4, but cannot be in kdelibs in KDE 3.x
> because of BC
OK, it's what I've missed !
I see eventwatcher that make its own notifications (but only
passivePopups) with two buttons: "Details" and "View".
They could be transformed to standard Notifications with actions
links/buttons as soon as you merge them in kdelibs.
Great!
It would just need to rework some features as the "Details" buttons
resize up the popup and add extra informations. And this even could be
made by the server sending an action, and eventwatcher would then modify
the event with the full content.
Fine, so.

> > And it would even by more user friendly if widget themes could theme the
> > PassivePopups: they currently look odd because yellow/gray rectangle.
> > Windows (MSN Messsenger, Symantec Norton, and lot of recent apps)
> > provide very well themed (with rounds, gradiants, colors...) ballons.
>
> I have to admit the actual KPassivePopup is not realy esthetic.  But at least,
> it is functional :-)
> That's true it could be re-designed

Yes, it's functional and useful.