makefile -f Makefile.cvs aborts with compile_kpilot does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL

Adriaan de Groot adridg at sci.kun.nl
Sun Jan 18 16:10:36 GMT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Mickael Marchand wrote:
> > I don't remind seeing this in the policy ;) ("breaking while merging
> > during days is allowed")

Mike, for one thing the policy says "it has to compile _against KDE 3.2
libs_", not "it has to compile". While we talked about commit discipline
in Osnabrueck and Bo had some interesting ideas about what to do with
people who broke it (in a similar vein, have you seen the "Dave's ass"
stuff related to the XMas shipment of Sluggy Freelance books?), it's
_HEAD_. It might not compile. Darn. And as it happens, we're busy merging
in lots of things at once - stuff that worked all together in the branch,
but is being merged separately. It might not compile. Darn.

> How about using a little common sense at least?
>
> > anyway,
> > just another policy which applies to everyone except the people who wrote
> > it
>
> Come one! The new features need to be merged, and that's the task of several
> people. Sorry that they are not in a video conference and trying to commit
> to cvs at exactly the same minute...

Mike, are you studying for the role Neil vacated? (Yay! Score one under
ad-hominem).

> > I just wanted to show how stupid this kind of rules are useless (except to
> > slow down development and losing time).
>
> No, this policy isn't useless at all, since there will be a separate kdepim
> release in about 4 months (with freeze in about 2 months), so that release
> needs to work with kdelibs 3.2. Furthermore, to be able to release that
> soon we need to make sure that kdepim is ready for release almost all the
> time (which means no compile problems, or in other words, don't commit new
> features which need a lot of testing).

And that means doing the best we can. Which we do. Sometimes there's rough
spots, like when we have to merge stuff. It might not compile. Darn. It'll
get smoothed away soon enough - and has, most likely.

Anyway, if there's anyone to blame, it's people committing kontact merges
before all the component apps have merged.

Now, can we bury this thread and resume normal productive behavior?
Thanks.

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg at cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE