3.2 issues :(

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Jan 18 08:08:17 GMT 2004

On Sunday 18 January 2004 08:12, George Staikos wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2004 02:10, Frans Englich wrote:
> > On Sunday 18 January 2004 08:01, George Staikos wrote:
> > >     For some reason in HEAD the kicker clock (don't know when this
> > > changed) has lost track of the fact that I like to see the date along
> > > with the time.
> >
> > Yupp, that's a feature not a bug, some people would say. I changed(with
> > consensus on kde-usability) a couple of weeks ago since it was too small
> > and cluttered on 800x600 displays. BTW, you have the date as tooltip on
> > clock.
>
>   Sorry, it's a feature that I had it configured to show the date and now
> it decided that I shouldn't be seeing that date?

Yes, that's pretty much it. Someone sets a default, at a later date someone
finds a better default and changes it.
I understand you want to see the date on your 2560x1024 display but the
defaults for KDE can't be set solely for developer's setup's. I'm only
judging your wording:
"It's a feature that I had it configured to show the date and now it decided
that I shouldn't be seeing that date?"
"has lost track of the fact that I like to see the date along with the time."

Tell me why all KDE users should use defaults which this "I" wants. Looks like
"developer bellybutton" syndrom to me...

> If it is an issue for
> 800x600 displays, why not only disable it on 800x600 displays and leave it
> alone on 2560x1024 displays?

You mean doing a check runtime? What an overkill for such an little thing.. I
don't know how KConfigXT would cope with that. It's for several other reasons
bad having "dynamic" defaults.

It is actually not that obvious the date label is wanted. The text is small,
8pts which makes it hard to read regardless of monitor/resolution, it makes
the interface more complex and occupies precious screenspace(meaning it must
be really important). I would say it's not important because you usually only
checks the date about twice a day in /total/, then you know it. And if you
still need to check the date(from the kicker clock) it's there as tooltip,
the date picker, Copy to Clipboard...
You have as habit to check date by looking at the clock, and now when it is
gone you naturally reacts - it's not what you're used to. Your habit is not a
motivation to why the behavior should be reverted.

Where should the treshold be btw? At 2560x1024? How many runs that?
From a couple of discussions some weeks ago it was pretty clear 800x600 is
very common among KDE users, hence the addition to the style guide. By no
doubt more common that 2560x1024. And defaults should follow the majority.

Tell me why we should show the date, because it's not obvious.

			Frans