KDesktop links

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Jan 12 08:55:52 GMT 2004

On Saturday 10 January 2004 04:01, Zack Rusin wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I was just going over stuff in preparation for Sunday and noticed this :
> 1) on kdesktop create a link to some application,
> 2) in the properties section of that link set both description and
> comment fields,
> 3) hover over the created icon: popup shows :
> a) type,
> b) size,
> c) modified,
> d) owner,
> e) permissions.
>
> Enough to say that neither of these makes really any sense for desktop
> links (they will be the same for all in almost all cases). What should
> be shown is of course either the comment or description.

Where's the patch? ;-)
(Hmm, kfile-plugins authors: where's the plugin used for the above?)

> Also while talking to Danimo he pointed out that also if one sets text
> under icon for an application, sets it back and then changes the system
> defaults, the application won't care and this is semantically flawed
> since there is no "default" action (like for other stuff).

Is this about toolbar settings? The big changes between 3.1 and 3.2, [which broke
things a number of times], were supposed to fix exactly that: ktoolbar is supposed
to not save the setting (and actually delete it) if it matches the current default.
It worked the last time I touched that code :)
I don't understand what you mean by "no default action".