new kicker menu extension: konqy profile selection

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Feb 29 21:53:19 GMT 2004

On Sunday 29 February 2004 21:36, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Sunday 29 February 2004 21:06, Frans Englich wrote:
> > All this is overkill.. People shouldn't need to care about
> > Profiles/whatever in order to browse their files or the web.
>
> I'm with you here -- actually I think there's a pretty easy solution --
> ditch "explicit" profiles and just go back to some simple cases:
>
> From everyone that I've seen using KDE there are really two "profiles" that
> people use -- I think it's simple enough to call them browsing files or
> browsing content.  It's pretty easy to differentiate between these two
> programatically and I'd like to do just that.

Yes, file manager and the web browser. We have these two profiles. But konqy
can do much more. In the last time several people prefer Firefox (firebird,
or what's the current name ?) because it's simpler.
Currently we can't have a simple konqy web browsing profile, because then
everybody will scream "I miss this or that power user feature!". By adding an
easy way to access the profiles we are able to offer more specialized
versions of konqy.
As well at work as at home I personally have an additional "development"
profile, which is simple webbrowsing with several tabs opened, each showing
an "useful" url: one with the Qt docs, one with kde docs, one home, one for
man pages, etc.
Then there was this article about locking one view to google and browsing the
hits in the linked view. We have a midnight commander profile but I guess not
that many users are using it. That's why I think a simple way to access the
profiles is required.

> If the profiles back end stays -- that's fine, but I think this whole issue
> would be made much easier if we just settle on a couple of common cases and
> switch between those transparently as the usage changes.

Maybe the xmlui merging could need some small additional tweaks...
Would be cool if kparts could hide/show actions which are provided by konqy
(i.e. which are not their own actions).

Bye
Alex