new kicker menu extension: konqy profile selection

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Feb 29 20:47:13 GMT 2004

On Sunday 29 February 2004 21:06, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Sunday 29 February 2004 17:32, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > > kdeaddons might be a better place for it? I don't see many people
> > > using this very often
> >
> > But with some work from our side they really should. At least it
> > will be used more often than the "Load profile" item from within
> > konqy. IMO currently the ability of konqy to load different
> > profiles each with a different xmlui file is not publicized enough.
> > The most common criticism on konqy is that it tries to do all in
> > one and that's why it's bloated. With different profiles with
> > specialized xmlui files we can show that konqy can be both the very
> > powerfull all-in-one app as well as the specialized one purpose
> > app.
>
> I vote for kdeaddons. I think we're running after the symptoms
> instead of the real problem.
> What this code suggests is that Konqueror is not useful as it is but
> needs help. Those who not run the extension will have a
> cumbersome(konquering?) Konqueror experience. Which means it should
> be enabled by default.
>
> All this is overkill.. People shouldn't need to care about
> Profiles/whatever in order to browse their files or the web.

Why do you say so? Do you use profiles? Profiles are very powerful. They
are at least as useful as bookmarks. I have several profiles which I
use for webpage maintenance. They have in common that they consist of
three panes: the local copy of the files, the remote copy of the files
on the web server and a preview pane.

I don't understand what you mean by "People shouldn't need to care about
Profiles/whatever in order to browse their files or the web." People
don't need to care. But people like me who use profiles would like to
have an easy way to start Konqueror with a specific profile. OTOH, I
don't care whether this goes in kdebase or kdeaddons. I agree that many
people won't need it. But that's at least partly because they don't
know how useful profiles are.

Regards,
Ingo