Setup file for startkde

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Feb 22 14:36:12 GMT 2004

On Saturday 21 February 2004 13:29, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> we can't do much about that at this point ... that's why the gdm
> maintainer and i are trying to propagate the use of a ~/.xprofile, which
> is sourced by both xinit and ?dm.
OK.

> > What's wrong with sourcing everything?
> >
> some people _hate_ bourne shell ... not that i would care. *g*

I'm not experienced enough with csh to know what to do about that...
(does startkde even work with csh?)

> right, but you never know what strange ideas a user gets ... fortunately
> he can do everything through an indirection, so this is a minor.
> hmm, in this light it actually makes sense to source only .sh files -
> and that automatically solves your backup problem. :-)
True...

> > Here's an updated proposal,
> > which also includes skipping foo~ and foo.bak
> >
> interesting idea, but i'm not conviced it should be done. all other
> "directory executors" i know don't filter as well.
I disagree. At least kdesktop filters already for the Autostart folder.
Plus all the distro's scripts look for *.sh as you said, so they do filter :)

> that's partly because
> a filter that catches _all_ backups without false positives is close to
> impossible. in any case, you should use egrep, not multiple greps, and
> redirect to >/dev/null 2>&1.
OK.

> > (OK if I do the same in the shutdown session?)
> in principle, yes.
Now I'm not sure what "the same" means for you and for me :)
Filtering out foo~ and foo.bak, or looking for *.sh only? The former, right?

All done in the new version of the patch (including "env" instead of "setup",
mentionning ssh-agent -k etc.).