Setup file for startkde

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Feb 21 12:29:03 GMT 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 10:22:19AM +0100, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2004 14:01, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > my main argument is consistency with the shutdown dir(s).
> Ah, I hadn't noticed the code for the shutdown dirs. OK that makes sense then

> (except that using $KDEDIRS to locate a script that might change KDEDIRS is kind
> of interesting :-)

:}
we can't do much about that at this point ... that's why the gdm
maintainer and i are trying to propagate the use of a ~/.xprofile, which
is sourced by both xinit and ?dm.

> > of course there needs to be a distinction between source-able and
> > exec-utable programs - i think one can simply do a test -x for that,
> > but needs to document the subtle difference (i.e., _don't_ chmod x
> > the .sh files if they are supposed to set environment variables).
>
> What's wrong with sourcing everything?

some people _hate_ bourne shell ... not that i would care. *g*

> As I found out while testing, this is NOT a place to run any graphical
> program,

right, but you never know what strange ideas a user gets ... fortunately
he can do everything through an indirection, so this is a minor.
hmm, in this light it actually makes sense to source only .sh files -
and that automatically solves your backup problem. :-)

> Here's an updated proposal,
> which also includes skipping foo~ and foo.bak

interesting idea, but i'm not conviced it should be done. all other
"directory executors" i know don't filter as well. that's partly because
a filter that catches _all_ backups without false positives is close to
impossible. in any case, you should use egrep, not multiple greps, and
redirect to >/dev/null 2>&1.

> (OK if I do the same in the shutdown session?)

in principle, yes.

greetings