idea: kpersonalizer to ask for user 'type'

Adriaan de Groot adridg at cs.kun.nl
Thu Feb 19 12:03:33 GMT 2004

On Thursday 19 February 2004 09:49, Janne Karhunen wrote:
> Adriaan de Groot <adridg at cs.kun.nl> wrote:
> > > Lets assume KPersonalizer would first greet you with:
> > >
> > > Getting to know you. Are you a
> > > x Home User
> > > x Office User
> > > x Power User
> > >
> > > You're saying you couldn't find yourself from this?
> >
> > I'll click "home user". Now you tell me exactly what that means for my
> > desktop settings, and why.
>
> You haven't noticed that these groups actually do have different
> needs? Really? My bet would be that home user is mainly interested
> in WWW, multimedia, instant messaging, and email ( simple kmail ).

Hey, I asked you first: what exact settings does "Home User" imply? Of course
I know that people use their computers for different purposes and that use in
an office is different from use in the home. The reason I asked you what
settings exactly "Home User" implies is that - while your guess is probably
correct - if you are going to link a whole collection of settings with some
nebulous term like "home user" you must make sure that users expect the same
link.

> As for the complete market research, no I can not give you that,
> but you already knew that. I'm only trying to work this out with
> common sense.

Common sense is overrated, sorry. Certainly when it's applying user settings
based on the interpretation of nebulous terms. That's why I demand numbers
and research.I sure wouldn't trust _my_ common sense when assigning settings
to the three terms you use.

--
pub  1024D/FEA2A3FE 2002-06-18 Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org>
                     Would you like a freem?