idea: kpersonalizer to ask for user 'type'

Janne Karhunen Janne.Karhunen at pp.htv.fi
Thu Feb 19 08:49:58 GMT 2004

Adriaan de Groot <adridg at cs.kun.nl> wrote:

> > Lets assume KPersonalizer would first greet you with:
> >
> > Getting to know you. Are you a
> > x Home User
> > x Office User
> > x Power User
> >
> > You're saying you couldn't find yourself from this?
>
> I'll click "home user". Now you tell me exactly what that means for my
> desktop settings, and why.

You haven't noticed that these groups actually do have different
needs? Really? My bet would be that home user is mainly interested
in WWW, multimedia, instant messaging, and email ( simple kmail ).
Office user might value instant access to office applications, PIM
and WWW. I doubt he/she would be interested in seeing hordes of
small utilities and/or dozen different text editors. Power user
then again *will* probably prefer konsole over everything, with a
high probability that utilities and development tools would be
valued.

As for the complete market research, no I can not give you that,
but you already knew that. I'm only trying to work this out with
common sense.

> Note that I'm not saying it is impossible to do this, or that it's
> fundamentally a bad idea. I do claim that for this to be a usability
> _improvement_, you need to be sure that your categorization matches what
> people want.

Thats exactly what I was after. Actually, the work that Ximian
has done with XD2 is rather good on this respect. Problem with
that being, they only focus on the corporate office user, and
leave out the rest. KDE is uber-customizable. It has the
potential to work this out right.

--
// Janne