idea: kpersonalizer to ask for user 'type'

Janne Karhunen Janne.Karhunen at pp.htv.fi
Thu Feb 19 13:26:54 GMT 2004

Adriaan de Groot <adridg at cs.kun.nl> wrote:

> > You haven't noticed that these groups actually do have different
> > needs? Really? My bet would be that home user is mainly interested
> > in WWW, multimedia, instant messaging, and email ( simple kmail ).
>
> Hey, I asked you first: what exact settings does "Home User" imply?

Didn't I reply? I would go with offering him rapid access
to WWW, multimedia, games, instant messaging and email.
There are other more cabable guys/gals here that are far
better than me figuring out what else would be hip.

> correct - if you are going to link a whole collection of settings with some
> nebulous term like "home user" you must make sure that users expect the same
> link.

Sure, but whats the other solution? Have a generic babble
that doesn't really fit anyone? Focus on just one of the
target groups like Ximian has done? All power users that
i'm aware of are really pissed about that, as some of
them would actually like to use the product (XD2).

That said, I have no perfect answers or 100% fool proof
market research, my friend. As a matter of fact, I don't
think anyone has. I'm just trying to figure out how this
could be made better just as you are.

Personally i can say that of all the items in the K menu,
I probably use maximum of 10%. How about you?

--
// Janne