idea: kpersonalizer to ask for user 'type'

Adriaan de Groot adridg at cs.kun.nl
Wed Feb 18 11:41:22 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 12:26, Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 18. Februar 2004 10:38 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> > On Tuesday 17 February 2004 15:38, Janne Karhunen wrote:
> > > way - kpersonalizer exists already. Why not make it to ask
> > > for user level and do the settings accordingly? IMHO asking
> > > this would be FAR more important than asking for a theme to
> > > be used.
> >
> > Welcome to the real world: People have different views in what
> > level they are in than you might configure for them.
>
> With e.g. "Home", "SOHO", "Coder", "Scientist", "Geek",
> "InsertYourTypeHereIfCommon" there could be more suited default layouts
> that would please more people.

As Stephan already said: there are different views on what level people are
and what a particular type implies - as well as that we can get into endless
bikeshedding over what one particular type would want.

Let's put it another way: I'm having an identity crisis. I need your advice on
which type I am. My computer stands at home. I code for KDE CVS. I'm a
computer scientist who does proof theory on the machine. I'm also a geek with
glasses. So which type do I fill in?

Gosh, that's hard to say. The more so that I have absolutely no clue whether
scientists want konsole on kicker or not. _Supposing_ I knew that I wanted
konsole on kicker, how would I find out which profile to use? Basically it
boils down to that you would have to _describe_ each profile somehow, saying:
"Home - someone who wants basic web-surfing icons on kicker, a funky
background, lcd clock, two scoops of raisins, and one desktop only." Right,
but the LCD clock doesn't match my furniture.

Hence, to return to the OP: using types makes sense if you know that people
match your type names with themselves the same way you would and that there
is a clear picture of what settings belong to each type. I think neither
criterion is met.

--
pub  1024D/FEA2A3FE 2002-06-18 Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org>
                     Would you like a freem?