idea: kpersonalizer to ask for user 'type'

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at Kossebau.de
Wed Feb 18 12:27:02 GMT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 18. Februar 2004 12:41 schrieb Adriaan de Groot:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2004 12:26, Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau wrote:
> > >
> > > Welcome to the real world: People have different views in what
> > > level they are in than you might configure for them.
> >
> > With e.g. "Home", "SOHO", "Coder", "Scientist", "Geek",
> > "InsertYourTypeHereIfCommon" there could be more suited default layouts
> > that would please more people.
>
> As Stephan already said: there are different views on what level people are
> and what a particular type implies - as well as that we can get into
> endless bikeshedding over what one particular type would want.
>
> Let's put it another way: I'm having an identity crisis. I need your advice
> on which type I am. My computer stands at home. I code for KDE CVS. I'm a
> computer scientist who does proof theory on the machine. I'm also a geek
> with glasses. So which type do I fill in?

:) Nitpicker. Uhm, no, perhaps that which you are most often ;) I do not say
that such a categorization will match anyone but it might come closer to
hopefully most than one plain setup, in the beginning, that is.

Of course the profiles should have some description to help one to find the
one coming closest.

> Gosh, that's hard to say. The more so that I have absolutely no clue
> whether scientists want konsole on kicker or not. _Supposing_ I knew that I
> wanted konsole on kicker, how would I find out which profile to use?

It's not only about Konsole but also other apps, about number of desktops and
things I right don't know which :/

Yes, I lack any numbers, as I said, it's about the idea. It was a proposal to
solve the conflict about what the default setup should look like, by offering
a set of setups. But if noone picks it up or thinks it doable, that's it.

Friedrich