Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Sat Feb 14 22:35:59 GMT 2004

Kurt Pfeifle writes:

> Dominique Devriese wrote:
>> Dominique Devriese writes:

>>> Try convincing me: I have personally watched tens of new KDE
>>> users, and none of them have ever managed to discover the what's
>>> this stuff.
>>
>>> As suggested elsewhere in this thread, it would imho be more
>>> useful as a sort of tooltip.
>> Or, for another point, as text that is placed in the widget itself.
>>

> But this additional text will be there all the time, no? Even if I
> don't need it? It would add up to clutter the UI.

Yes, this remark should have said "Or, in some cases, as text in the
widget itself".  In some cases, more text could be added to widgets,
especially in wizards and index pages.

> So that would be a "usability deterioration" in my eyes.

In most cases yes, in some cases no, but this is not really relevant
to this discussion.

> WhatsThis is only there if I ask for it. That's the beauty of it.

IMHO, this is also its downside.  It's too well hidden for users to
find it.

> Please tell me one thing. The 3.2 kprinter dialog now has more
> WhatsThis items than before (but not yet 100% complete). Please take
> 5 minutes and have a look:

I haven't got access to a 3.2 installation atm, I'm affraid.  I'll see
if I can try tomorrow.  Perhaps somebody else ?

cheers
domi