Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Feb 14 13:53:49 GMT 2004

Dr. Juergen Pfennig wrote:

> Long ago I told you about an attempt to make a team of commercial (windows)
> developers use KDE in a Linux project and that they started laughing at some
> points. You asked me in your reply what it was that they were laughing
> about ... The omni-present but rarely implemented "what is this" help as one
> of these points. Fortunately with KDE 3.2 thing got better.
>
> There should be *ABSOLUTELY* no GUI elements that have no function.

I agree.

> It would
> be better to hide this stuff if it doesn't work.

I agree.

But I still wish to convince every developer that the WhatsThis is a very
very usefull feature for users (and for "KDE Marketing") --- *if* it is
there. And that's why we should make it a policy that it *shoud* be there,
and that disabling it is regarded as a lower quality according to any "KDE
standard" rule....

Cheers,
Kurt