Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Dr. Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Sat Feb 14 13:18:40 GMT 2004

On Saturday 14 February 2004 12:48, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Friday 13 February 2004 17:29 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:
> > Bur *I* am. Extend the content until it is 100% complete. Make this one
> > of the goals for the next release!
Hi Stephan!
Long ago I told you about an attempt to make a team of commercial (windows)
developers use KDE in a Linux project and that they started laughing at some
points. You asked me in your reply what it was that they were laughing
about ... The omni-present but rarely implemented "what is this" help as one
of these points. Fortunately with KDE 3.2 thing got better.

There should be *ABSOLUTELY* no GUI elements that have no function. It would
be better to hide this stuff if it doesn't work. Does QT/KDE still make it so
difficult to write a dialog without "what is this"? I didn't try for a while.
Anyhow the default is wrong - this function should only be there if the
developer wants it.

Suggestion: could some smart GUI guru modify the behavior of dialogs so that
the "what is this" disappears automatically if no tool-tip is registered?

Jürgen