Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Fri Feb 13 10:15:50 GMT 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 11:01, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:26:45PM +0100, Daniel Naber wrote:
> > Also, it would be cool if the documentation could somehow "include" these
> > help texts. Duplication could thus be avoided.
>
> I've been playing with the idea (generating skeleton DocBook files from the
> WhatsThis texts in an .ui file [those are easy to parse]) some time ago,
> you can see what I have at http://ktown.kde.org/~frerich/ui2db.tar.bz2.

This looks interesting. Parsing .ui files seems to be a bit limiting though.
What about doing this at run-time of the application? You could parse the
QObject tree of a dialog and extract the WhatsThis texts from there. It could
also be used to create screenshots, maybe even automatically create an image
where the WhatsThis texts are connected to the associated widgets by an arrow
or something like that.