Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Frerich Raabe raabe at kde.org
Fri Feb 13 10:38:14 GMT 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:15:50AM +0100, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Friday 13 February 2004 11:01, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:26:45PM +0100, Daniel Naber wrote:
> > > Also, it would be cool if the documentation could somehow "include" these
> > > help texts. Duplication could thus be avoided.
> >
> > I've been playing with the idea (generating skeleton DocBook files from the
> > WhatsThis texts in an .ui file [those are easy to parse]) some time ago,
> > you can see what I have at http://ktown.kde.org/~frerich/ui2db.tar.bz2.
>
> This looks interesting. Parsing .ui files seems to be a bit limiting though.

"Promote use of .ui files" was one of my motives (I had a few other ideas for
programs which take advantage of .ui files being easy to parse).

> What about doing this at run-time of the application? You could parse the
> QObject tree of a dialog and extract the WhatsThis texts from there. It could
> also be used to create screenshots,

Hmm, yes (why does the idea sound remotely familiar to me, did you suggest it
some time ago already?), I bet one could even do that in kdelibs. Maybe a
"dumpSkeletonDocbook" method or so.

> maybe even automatically create an image

That would merely be a matter of a QPixmap::grabWidget call, I guess.

> where the WhatsThis texts are connected to the associated widgets by an arrow
> or something like that.

This could be tricky, I'm not sure how to do it right now, it seems like
hairy work.

- Frerich

--
if new true friend not protected for explicit private union, break
case and try using this.