Moving kdcop

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Feb 2 23:56:02 GMT 2004

On Monday 02 February 2004 23:25, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On February 2, 2004 06:21 pm, Frans Englich wrote:
> > I don't get it, kdeutils is not for power users. It is for those who need
> > a calculator or format their floppy. kdeutils is mandatory - everyone
> > must have it.
>
> kdeutis is not mandatory.. you can run KDE without it just fine.

Wrong. For a reasonable Desktop Enviroment kdeutils is feature wise indeed
mandatory. Not technically, which you refers to, but which I clearly did not.

> > And that's why everyone will end up with kdcop anyway if it's in
> > kdeutils.
> > I don't get it, if this power user (know what kded is and) need to run
> > its dcop call, why can't he then install kdesdk?
> >
> > I want kdcop in kdesdk to reduce KDE forking.
>
> Don't forget about KHotKeys, KHotKeys is certainly *not* a developer app,
> it's useable for anyone. And KHotKeys lets you use kdcop to bind a DCOP
> action to.
>
> Without kdcop in kdebase, the DCOP functionality in khotkeys would pretty
> much need to  be removed,

(Which will never happen.)

> unless you were going to make the user type the
> DCOP commands by hand.

Well, AFAICT the user still have to type in the DCOP command, kdcop helps in
the way that the user can look up how the command is spelled, if he/she have
forgot. Because in general, users need to activate the functionality the dcop
object provides via shortcuts and especially, the user knows what all the
objects and function names do. I can go straight to the point: The dcop part
of khotkeys shouldn't be there for the same reason why kdcop isn't in the
kmenu.
But does it really matter? I mean, we have 4 kcms(in total 10 tabs) for
keyboard related settings. But who cares.

I'm serious - *who* cares?

Yes that is what I think, khotkeys dcop functionality is overkill and should
be moved out, and so kdcop. That is consistent with my previous resoning, and
fully backed up by me.

I can feel the physical pain.

		Frans