Moving kdcop

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Feb 3 00:10:06 GMT 2004

On February 2, 2004 07:56 pm, Frans Englich wrote:
> > unless you were going to make the user type the
> > DCOP commands by hand.
>
> Well, AFAICT the user still have to type in the DCOP command,

Yes. But if it was made into a KPart as Ian was saying, this would not be needed.

> kdcop helps in  the way that the user can look up how the command is spelled,
> if he/she have  forgot.

This is assuming that the user knew the command in the first place ( a huge jump
to make ). Without a GUI DCOP browser, you could never expect a user to
discover any of these commands.

> Because in general, users need to activate the functionality the dcop
> object provides via shortcuts and especially, the user knows what all the
> objects and function names do. I can go straight to the point: The dcop part
> of khotkeys shouldn't be there for the same reason why kdcop isn't in the
> kmenu.

What? Why do you say this?

I find being able to bind CTRL+F5 to switch desktop wallpaper *incredibly* usefull,
and there's no way anyone can say that that's a developer-centric task.

Power user perhaps, but certainly not developer centric.

> But does it really matter? I mean, we have 4 kcms(in total 10 tabs) for
> keyboard related settings. But who cares.
>
> I'm serious - *who* cares?

Me? Anyone who likes to be able to add shortcuts for programs without having to
(foolishly) add KMenu entries for them?

None of the other KCMs let you bind shortcuts to arbitrary DCOP commands. Also,
there is no way other than KHotKeys to bind a KDE shortcut to run an arbitrary
application *without* adding it to the KMenu. KHotKeys also provides Gesture support
to KDE, something anyone who uses Optimoz or Opera loves in Konqueror.

IMO the other KCMs should be integrated into KHotKeys where needed, not
the other way around.

> Yes that is what I think, khotkeys dcop functionality is overkill and should
> be moved out, and so kdcop.

Moved to where? You already rejected kdeutils. And kdesdk is no place for
KHotKeys.

The stuff in KHotkeys is so usefullit should definitely be in kdebase. I agree that there is
some overlap between it and "Keyboard Shortcuts".. but that should not be fixed by
removing or moving KHotKeys. The two should be merged together into one KCM.

The KHotKeys UI needs some work anyways.. it has some questionable layouting issues.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.keirstead.org