Moving kdcop

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Feb 2 22:21:31 GMT 2004

On Monday 02 February 2004 23:00, Russell Miller wrote:

> On Monday 02 February 2004 03:59 pm, Frans Englich wrote:
> > Why not kdesdk - kdcop is afterall for mixing with kde internals, you
> > only need it if you develop an KDE app, or something equally "internal".
> > Putting it in kdeutils helps a little, but users would still have it
> > installed since kdeutils is basically mandatory for a decent KDE session.
>
> I think that's a red herring.  To me, the only benefit to taking it out of
> kdebase is a smaller kdebase package to download, and taking a bit less
> time compiling the module.  Those are compelling reasons.

But lets be realistic, those arguments are compelling for a fraction, like you
and me, all those who are mortal this argument is moot(because they run a
default KDE install from their distro). But of course, the arguments are
still compelling because they help us developers while not suffering regular
users.
The real attractive reason to why moving it is because it help distributors -
they don't have to fork kdebase as much. And this is for everyone's gain.

> And no, you don't only need it if you develop a KDE app.  It's more a
> "power user" tool than a "developer" tool.  Developers would be using the
> command line :)

I don't get it, kdeutils is not for power users. It is for those who need a
calculator or format their floppy. kdeutils is mandatory - everyone must
have it. And that's why everyone will end up with kdcop anyway if it's in
kdeutils.
I don't get it, if this power user (know what kded is and) need to run its
dcop call, why can't he then install kdesdk?

I want kdcop in kdesdk to reduce KDE forking.

> > And what about kdebase/kdebugdialog? kdesdk?

Cheers,

		Frans