Set shadowSortColumn false per default

tackat at t-online.de tackat at t-online.de
Mon Dec 27 19:34:18 GMT 2004

Doooh ...

The real problem with this feature seems to be that right now it's not
tuned to look subtle enough. The same is still true for the desktop icon
text shadow. The latter has always looked bad and so it's not surprising
that my std-experience since KDE 3.2 with many visitors at fairs,
migration customers etc. is that they say something along the lines: "I
really like KDE 3. ... but there's something I'd really like to switch
off .." -- "Ah, yes, let me guess: You hate how the shadowed text on the
desktop looks like and you weren't able to find it in the Advanced
Settings of the background wallpaper settings because you would have
expected it to be either part of the icon settings or part of the font
settings (because from the user's point of view the shadow is not a
property of the background but of the object which _drops_ the shadow,
i.e. the text itself or the icon to which it belongs to." -- "True, how
did you know?"  [....]
Usually I then show the customers how to switch it off. But afterwards I
turn it on again and change the shadow to some value which looks more
subtle which usually pleases their needs and looks best according to
them. After changing the default shadow value to some aesthetically
pleasing defaults I have never heard any complaints.

Back to the topic: By switching this feature off you basically prevent
that the artists find a more subtle looking default. After we have found
such a subtle default we can evaluate whether the usability advantages
justify this feature being enabled by default and then switch it on or
off for the final release.

>From my personal experience I never really realized that the triangle
symbol on top indicated the sorted column and I have been irritated in
many cases whether the columns were sorted or not. So actually I think
that this solution addresses an existing problem and I think that we can
find some more subtle settings for the shadow which will please 95% of
our users and which still resemble a usability advancement.

So please Ingo turn the shadow on again.

Greetings,
Torsten Rahn

-----Original-Nachricht als Anlage beigefügt -----