Set shadowSortColumn false per default

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Dec 21 12:53:57 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 4:07 am, Martin Koller wrote:
> What do you mean ? Can you show me a screenshot ?
> The folder tree in kmail looks as before, because the shading is only done
> when a KListView contains more than 1 column.

KMail contains 3 columns by default, and by default the sorting is done on the
folder tree.

Because the folder tree is about 15 times as wide as either of the other two
columns ( unread and total ), the list view looks *very* weird... about 75%
of it is grey, the rest is white.

You see the exact same thing in KNode, and other multi-column trees.

Maybe this should be disabled whenever a listview is a tree - it looks very
strange in a tree.

> Discontinuous from left to right, yes. That's the intention.
> You should see the column which is sorted.

Unless someone explicitly told me so ( as they did on this list ) that this
was because it was the column I was sorting by, there is no way I would have
ever surmised this.

My main gripe with it is that it is certainly not something that people are
used to with list views, at all. On any major platform, in any major widget
set, the sort column in a list view is inidicated in the top column bar - it
is not shaded throughout the whole widget.

I still think that the option itself is OK - but it should not be default to
on. It is too unusual.

> This issue had a lot of votes on bko.

What is the bug # ?

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.