KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS)

nf nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Mon Dec 20 22:37:33 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 20:26, George Staikos wrote:

>    The applications are guaranteed tobe inconsistent if they all use the same
> VFS, because they use features which are unavailable in one or the other.
> Gnome doesn't implement KWallet, for instance.  With Gnome VFS, KDE apps will
> use KWallet for some things, and ?? for others?

Good point. Storing passwords in a desktop neutral way is definitely a
problem for a "Common VFS". Again there are two incompatible libraries
(KWallet and gnome-keyring) for the same purpose - instead of a single
library and two front-ends. Same story... ;-)

I'll have a look how the APIs compare as soon i have time...

http://webcvs.kde.org/kdelibs/kwallet/

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-keyring/

Cheers,
Norbert