KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS)

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon Dec 20 22:42:52 GMT 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 17:37, nf wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 20:26, George Staikos wrote:
> >    The applications are guaranteed tobe inconsistent if they all use the
> > same VFS, because they use features which are unavailable in one or the
> > other. Gnome doesn't implement KWallet, for instance.  With Gnome VFS,
> > KDE apps will use KWallet for some things, and ?? for others?
>
> Good point. Storing passwords in a desktop neutral way is definitely a
> problem for a "Common VFS". Again there are two incompatible libraries
> (KWallet and gnome-keyring) for the same purpose - instead of a single
> library and two front-ends. Same story... ;-)
>
> I'll have a look how the APIs compare as soon i have time...
>
> http://webcvs.kde.org/kdelibs/kwallet/
>
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-keyring/

  You are ignoring the overall issue and focusing on a small detail.  Where do
you consider stopping "code sharing"?  Do you intend to write one desktop to
replace both KDE and Gnome, or perhaps rewrite KDE using Gnome libraries?
After all, having two widget sets is definitely a problem for a "Common
Desktop".

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/