KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS)

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon Dec 20 19:26:33 GMT 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 14:19, nf wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 18:14, George Staikos wrote:
> > On Monday 20 December 2004 11:14, nf wrote:
> > > http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/common-vfs/COMMON-VFS-BENEFITS.html
> >
> >    How about the disadvantages?  You could start with: One VFS is
> > presently superior in features, protocols support, and compatibility, and
> > the other desktop is going to have to lose functionality and performance,
> > and gain bloat in order to satisfy these other benefits.  (note that I
> > did not say which desktop, whichever one it is, it's irrelevant)  You
> > could continue with: hundreds or thousands of bug fixes will be thrown
> > out, and many new possible bug paths introduced.  There are many more.
>
> That sounds a bit fatalistic: "We know we are heading in the wrong
> direction, but it's too late - So let's just close the eyes and move on
> with our autistic libraries..."

   The wrong direction was to create a gigantic fork in desktop technology and
head off on a tangent with no thought for collaboration in the first place,
but let's leave that behind us now.

> Performance, number of protocols and features? I doubt that's of high
> value

    Support for the protocols I use is of paramount importance.  I'm a KDE
user, and I don't use a mix of different apps.  If my default KDE install
doesn't support the features and protocols that it did two months ago, and it
uses twice as much ram to give me that lesser functionality, then I see that
to be rather devastating.

> if it's not available inside ALL applications and file-choosers.
> Consistency and transparency might be more important from the "users"
> perspective.

   The applications are guaranteed tobe inconsistent if they all use the same
VFS, because they use features which are unavailable in one or the other.
Gnome doesn't implement KWallet, for instance.  With Gnome VFS, KDE apps will
use KWallet for some things, and ?? for others?

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/