KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS)

nf nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Mon Dec 20 19:19:35 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 18:14, George Staikos wrote:
> On Monday 20 December 2004 11:14, nf wrote:

> > http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/common-vfs/COMMON-VFS-BENEFITS.html
>
>    How about the disadvantages?  You could start with: One VFS is presently
> superior in features, protocols support, and compatibility, and the other
> desktop is going to have to lose functionality and performance, and gain
> bloat in order to satisfy these other benefits.  (note that I did not say
> which desktop, whichever one it is, it's irrelevant)  You could continue
> with: hundreds or thousands of bug fixes will be thrown out, and many new
> possible bug paths introduced.  There are many more.

That sounds a bit fatalistic: "We know we are heading in the wrong
direction, but it's too late - So let's just close the eyes and move on
with our autistic libraries..."

Performance, number of protocols and features? I doubt that's of high
value if it's not available inside ALL applications and file-choosers.
Consistency and transparency might be more important from the "users"
perspective.

Norbert