XML/XSD based configuration files.

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Tue Dec 7 23:03:11 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 19:44, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 December 2004 18:16, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> >
> > besides speed gained by the simplicity of the .ini format, it's a very
> > human friendly format. people can easily find and change settings as
> > needed. XML is not nearly as human friendly, and i think that's an
> > important thing to keep in mind as well.
>
> I would consider that such a low priority it can be neglectable; that
> people need to manually hack files is the bug, not that it's difficult.

I'm sorry Frans but you really got your priorities wrong here. A config file
*must* be manually editable, with a plain text editor, and the format should
be trivial. I'd rate XML as "tolerable" on this scale.

Call it a bug if you wish, it's a bug that won't ever go away, so you have to
do with it.

--
						Guillaume.
						http://www.telegraph-road.org