XML/XSD based configuration files.

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Wed Dec 8 00:40:13 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 17:55, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 December 2004 19:14, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > I'm sure that if you read the above you disagree with yourself. Needing
> > to manually manipulate own data (configurations in this case) isn't a
> > bug. It's an inalienable right!
>
> If you like. A right a small percentage of our users has the skills and
> interest to exercise. It's nothing wrong with having that right, it just
> doesn't matter for the vast majority of our users -- the /overall/ result
> wouldn't be nice if we went for a solution which made it top notch for
> geeks like us, and made it negative for the wide majority.

You make it sound like if it's exclusive. Yes, the users don't need to see the
config file. Thus they wouldn't care less if it's XML or ini-like or written
in chinese and accessible only in non-UTF8 compilant editors.

But KDE was never written exclusively with the users in mind. A huge share of
our attention goes to developers (hence the clean API that we try to offer)
and, of course, to those unsung little heroes that keep most of the users
going: admins (be them voluntary family ones or paid corporate ones).

> The ability to manually edit text files(if that's now the physical format)
> isn't irrelevant as I initially wrote, but it sure must have a low
> priority(and where how much it is compromised depends on how important
> other aspects of the matter are).

I still don't get it why.

--
Cristian Tibirna