[patch] konqi multi column view #42587

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Dec 3 21:31:38 GMT 2004

On Friday 03 December 2004 22:17, Martin Koller wrote:
> In principle, the patches have the same idea.
> Michael also sets a maximum width, but it's hardcoded to 1000, and the patch
> only works for textlines == 1, which is a problem if a user switches from
> IconView mode to multicolumn mode, as this setting is not per view mode
> (and the default is 2 textlines).
>
> Due to these limitations, I think my approach is the better one, also as the
> user can decide the max width he wants.

I'm not sure the configurability is needed, but well, if we have it for kdesktop....
I agree that doing more than one line is a good idea, since there's room for
at least another line of text, which is much better than truncating.

> > Hmm, this is arguable. All file managers allow moving them, don't they?
>
> Which file managers do you mean ?
I meant Windows Explorer in particular. Dunno about Nautilus.

> Konqi did this, but it gives the user the impression he can decide where to
> put the icons, to finally find that after a reload/change dir the icons are
> again on the original positions.
> As long as we do not store the positions per folder (which I would not do),
> it's clearer to have them non moveable.
The point is being able to sort out some things, by grouping icons together,
then e.g. deleting the ones you don't want anymore, etc. Of course after
a reload/change dir the positions are lost, but that's not a problem. Not
everything lasts forever... This is only about some freedom of movement of
the icons. KDE 1's kfm didn't have it, and people requested it, which KDE 2
provided. I don't think it would be a good idea to regress there.

> Ah, ok. But can you give me a hint where is the borderline between things for
> core-devel and kfm-devel ? Is it only libkonq?
khtml, konqueror, libkonq are definitely for kfm-devel.
For kdesktop there's no real rule, but IMHO kfm-devel is appropriate too,
especially for the filemanagement bits (icons etc.).
kde-core-devel is for e.g. kdelibs or CVS issues that affect most KDE apps.