Recommending /usr to distributions for KDE4

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Aug 19 10:36:06 BST 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 15:22, David Faure wrote:
> This is what $KDEHOME solves: you can have a different .kde dir for your
> various KDE versions.
>
> But we're going away from the topic imho; this isn't about where we
> developers install unstable versions of KDE, it's about where distributions
> install KDE. Having the same prefix, e.g. /usr, in all distros, certainly
> makes the job easier for 3rd-party kde apps who want to provide binary
> packages. The same binary package can work on many distros, provided they
> all use the same paths for KDE stuff. And versioning the dirs can probably
> solve problems indeed, e.g. /usr/share/kde4/services/ for kde4-based
> components....

To wrap this discussion up and include some of the findings from discussion on
irc:

/usr does indeed seem the way to go for distributions. It does introduce some
issues that need addressing though:

1) With a distributor provided KDE in /usr it will be more difficult to
build/use a development version of KDE in parallel (using the _same_ major
version) since the old KDE version will remain part of $PATH and the include
path of the compiler. Is it actually possible to build development versions
right now on e.g. RedHat or do you need to uninstall RedHat's KDE first?

2) For backwards compatibility it is essential to run KDE applications from
two different KDE major versions in parallel. For that to work all
information related to plugins, parts and other things that depend on the
major version of the running KDE application should be stored in versioned
directories. So share/services should probably become share/kde4/services.
More difficult is parts information that is currently stored in
application .desktop files under share/applnk and share/applications. (e.g.
stuff like X-KDE-Library) that should all be moved out of these
Application .desktop files and moved to versioned Service .desktop files.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org  |   KDE Community World Summit 2004  |  bastian at suse.com