Proposal for KDE 4.0

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Aug 18 14:22:59 BST 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 15:14, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 August 2004 14:50, Piotr Szymanski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Leo Savernik (Wednesday 18 August 2004 14:51):
> > >
> > > Cannot have two versions in parallel.
> >
> > I doubt it is safe for enduser to use two different versions in paralell.
> >
> It's not. We would need versioned configuration files to make that work. Even
> running KDE3.2 and KDE3.3 breaks a lot of stuff when the configuration is
> updated.

This is what $KDEHOME solves: you can have a different .kde dir for your
various KDE versions.

But we're going away from the topic imho; this isn't about where we developers
install unstable versions of KDE, it's about where distributions install KDE.
Having the same prefix, e.g. /usr, in all distros, certainly makes the job
easier for 3rd-party kde apps who want to provide binary packages.
The same binary package can work on many distros, provided they all
use the same paths for KDE stuff. And versioning the dirs can probably
solve problems indeed, e.g. /usr/share/kde4/services/ for kde4-based
components....